Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Gay Money

Jerry Seinfeld once said, “People don’t turn down money, that’s what makes us different from animals.” So are the canvassers who are raising money for “No on Prop. 8” campaign not people?

Last week I had lunch with a friend on Beverly Drive in the heart of Beverly Hills. As we left our lunch, I approached the people who were holding clipboards in front of the parking lot. I asked them what they were doing. One girl responded to us that they were raising money to get Prop 8, the gay marriage ban back on the ballot so gay marriages can be allowed in the state of California.

I personally am indifferent about gay marriage, and if two males or females want to get married, let them – at the very least it helps the faltering economy of California.

I offered my support of $1 nothing more and nothing less. Was this generous? In this economy or any economy yes. People don’t hand out dollars and try to support any random cause on a daily basis.

This canvasser, saying that she could not accept anything less than an $8 cash donation or a monthly donation from my credit card, rejected my $1 donation. I’m not stupid, I wouldn’t give my credit card information out to anyone in the middle of the street for any cause!

Here, this girl was asking for a symbolic amount of money for the cause, and suggested that my friend and I pool together our money to make $8 and donate that. We politely declined and I offered a dollar AGAIN!

She declined the dollar and I left.

When there is a cause that you believe in and you need to raise money for it, you are going to take every penny that is offered to you! In this economy, with money as scarce as it is, people are turning down money?

I do not hope for Prop 8 to pass again, but I do hope people are now aware of the stupid people who are working to overturn Prop 8. I know that I am not an animal.


No comments: